Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Dilma's Popularity

A regression of popularity (Government considered excellent/good, source Datafolha, very similar to Ibope or Census, but longer data) in four determinants: (i) lag of popularity, (ii) GDP growth, (iii) inflation, (iv) real exchange rate.

Is unemployment irrelevant? Yes, in contrast with some specifications I saw around, which forgot to put lagged variables and had nonstationary residuals, I found unemployment to be irrelevant. I’m happy with this, as the unemployment series is total crap.
Are the regressors endogenous? Shit yeah.
In the first picture a forecast. Assuming growth at 2%, inflation at 6% and BRL at 2.40, popularity trends up to 45. Shit yeah.

In the second picture, which shows the residual of the regression, a curiosity. The effect of the “passe livre” street movement was huge, but vanished.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, boy, I think popularity is a substitute for trust which affects investment decisions which affect GDP !! Do not bullshit me with lagged values

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree it's endogenous. Choice was made only to improve fitness.

    ReplyDelete